Leveraging GIS for Conservation Efforts

I recently worked on an environmental impact assessment for a local habitat restoration project using ArcGIS — it’s amazing how effective spatial analysis can be in identifying key areas for conservation. What GIS tools do you find most helpful for similar projects?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌​‍‍‌⁠‍​‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​‍​⁠​​‌‍‌‌‌‌⁠⁠‌​​⁠‌​​‌‌‌⁠⁠​⁠‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s great to hear about your experience with ArcGIS! I’ve found that using the Spatial Analyst extension can really enhance habitat modeling and pinpoint critical areas for restoration. Have you tried that tool?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​⁠​⁠‍‌‌‍​‌‌​​‍‌‌‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌​‍​‌‌​‍‌​⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌‌​‌​⁠‌‍‌‍​‌​⁠‍​‌⁠​‌‌⁠‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally get where you’re coming from with ArcGIS. I’ve used it for EIA too, and while it’s powerful, sometimes those layers can get overwhelming, . Have you tried any supplemental data sources, like using remote sensing for habitat change? It can provide some eye-opening insights.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌​‍⁠‌​‌‌‌​‍​‌​‍‍‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‍​​⁠‍​‌​‍‌‌‍‍‌​⁠​‍‌​‍⁠​⁠​​‌⁠‌⁠​‍⁠‌‌⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I hear you on how ArcGIS can be a bit much; it’s like trying to drink from a fire hose sometimes! Have you thought about combining it with QGIS for some of the analysis? The flexibility can really alleviate that layer overload.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌​⁠​‌⁠‌​‌‍​‍‌⁠​‌‌⁠​‍‌‌​​‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌​​‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‍​‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

, managing all those layers in ArcGIS can really be a pain; i’ve had some success using model builder to streamline my processes, especially in EIA projects. Have you experimented with any custom scripts or tools to ease that overload? @patricia_lee33 might have some good tips on simplifying workflows.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌​​⁠‍​‌​‍‌‌‌​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​‌​‌⁠‌​⁠​‌⁠​⁠‌​‌⁠‌​⁠⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve found that using QGIS alongside ArcGIS can help lighten the load on those overwhelming layers. It’s like having a second set of hands when you’re trying to juggle! Are there specific aspects of spatial analysis you’re focusing on for your project?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠​‌​‍‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌​‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‌‌​‌⁠‍​‌⁠‌​‌​‍​‌​​‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍​‌​​‌‌​⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Spatial analysis in ArcGIS is powerful, but I’ve found that using geoprocessing tools can really help streamline the data you need for assessments. For example, when identifying key habitats, setting up SQL queries in your attribute table can save a lot of time. Have you tried automating any of your workflows yet?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‌​​‌​‍​‌​⁠‌‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‌​‌‌‍‌‍‌‌​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​